GAF challenge: Machine vision systems for product conformance and machine condition
The manufacture of high quality roofing shingles is significantly important to GAF in terms of market recognition and reputation. It is a complicated and high speed operation involving many variations. GAF is looking to employ machine vision and sensor technology to assess product conformance to specification; characterising surface anomalies and identifying the process conditions when they occur; and evaluating whether critical machine components are appropriate to continue using.
You can read more about GAF and the two challenges here.
About Zeta Motion Ltd
Zeta Motion is a deep tech company using cutting-edge AI to provide next generation motion capture and 6 degrees of freedom object tracking, for entertainment, education, AR/VR and Industry 4.0. With the accelerating trend towards a digital future powered by technologies such as digital twin and enterprise XR, demand for solutions bridging the gap between real and digital worlds is extremely high. Current products, however, are limited in terms of usability and scalability, and too expensive for most users. Zeta Motion addresses these pain points, by combining methods from established machine vision technologies with state-of-the-art deep learning, to provide a solution which is fast, accurate, affordable and scalable.
About Dakota Systems, Inc.
Dakota Systems is a software company dedicated to building product content solutions that create engaging digital experiences. Since 1999, it has been a trusted partner for global, engineering-driven brands such as Nokia, Motorola, United Airlines, Shure, Siemens, and John Deere.
The Dakota Systems solutions help technical communicators and product teams improve the quality, speed, and business impact of their digital communication. Whether working with digital product pages or technical manuals we maximise technology ROI. Using proven analysis, design, and development techniques, we quickly and cost-effectively integrate business analytics with digital communication strategies for our customers.
Using cutting-edge AI and modern sensor technologies this product conformance solution is fast, accurate, affordable, and scalable. By replacing techniques typically carried out by human inspectors, the solution uses smart cameras and advanced AI – creating higher throughput and consistency. Quality controls are performed continuously, meaning there is no need to stop the production line to control errors. The new system means it is easy to define what parameters should be controlled and monitored, while low training times and high adaptability means it can be expanded to a wide variety of products. Existing product lifecycle management (PLM) and internet of things (IoT) systems are highly compatible with the solution and can easily be tied in with manufacturing robotics or other automated machinery.
For industry the solution delivers the following tangible impacts:
- Ease of use: Making it very easy to define what parameters should be controlled and monitored
- Scalability: With low training times and high adaptability, the system can be expanded to a wide variety of products
- Interoperability: The system is highly compatible with existing PLM and IoT systems and can easily be tied in with manufacturing robotics or other automated machinery
- Efficiency: With the ability to perform quality control dynamically and continuously, there is no need to stop the production line to control for errors
- Sustainability: Naturally, with less errors, less material is wasted and significant cost can be cut from the manufacturing process
What the Made Smarter Technology Accelerator means to Zeta Motion Ltd
“We are very excited to join the Made Smarter Technology Accelerator programme this year. This challenge of using machine vision and sensor technology to assess product conformance represents an ideal opportunity for us to showcase our innovative technology and products, and it is a true badge of honour to be selected by Digital Catapult and the challenge owner, GAF.” Dr. Wilhelm Klein, Co-Founder & CEO, Zeta Motion Ltd
- Part of Digital Catapult’s Light up Pool 2020 Challenge
- Part of Digital Catapult’s Machine Intelligence Garage cohort
- Tenant at Hong Kong Science and Technology Park’s Incu-tech Programme
- Supported by City University of Hong Kong’s TSSSU fund
- Supported by Hong Kong’s Innovation and Technology fund
- Partnerships with companies and institutions in the US, UK and Asia
Coming soon 23 June 2021 – Prototype presentation event
Taking place online on 23 June 2021, the programme will proudly present the first phase insights and learnings for industry. You’ll hear directly from the Industry Challenge Owners and Tech Sponsors, and find out more about the challenges they face and how to overcome them. Joined by the 14 programme startups you’ll discover the industry-changing prototypes as they pitch the conceptual solutions developed through the programme.