Babcock International Group challenge: Digital shipbuilding
Large scale modular construction projects (including shipbuilding) use state-of-the-art computer aided design (CAD) modelling and analysis during the design stages. However, this valuable information is often lost or does not get translated efficiently through to the equipment and personnel on the manufacturing shop floor. Babcock is looking to develop a process to enable specific 3D data from a ship design model to be fed to the point of use. The software and hardware should be developed considering new ways of presenting complex design data on the shop floor and new ways of managing data access, version control and change management.
You can read more Babcock and its two challenges here
About CAE Tech Ltd
The most innovative manufacturers and their suppliers use technologies from CAE Tech to make mass-customisation achievable and accessible; and to communicate configurable and versioned product data with its customers and supply chain partners. This is achieved through the development of bespoke cloud software solutions and unique understanding of engineering design and analysis technologies.
Using novel interaction techniques, this project will enable an entire team, particularly those on the factory-floor, to collaborate around computer aided design (CAD) data. Cutting-edge technologies from the gaming and music sector paired with a cloud-based application will enable Babcock International Group engineers to connect the system with its CAD and bill of materials (BoM) data sources. This use of cloud-based applications allows real-time sharing of data and notification of stakeholders when versions of the designs are released or updated. Accessibility from any device and collaboration throughout the manufacturing process is ensured – from the very early stages of design, including key features of version control, 3D CAD viewing, and securing efficient access to engineering data.
For industry the solution will:
- Provide active communication from the factory-floor and external suppliers back to the engineering team
- Enable robust development of the designs
- Provide intuitive tracking of design’s changes that aids the revision control
- Rapid access to accurate and up-to-date 3D models on the factory floor in a way that protects IPs and enables collaboration eliminate errors and rework during manufacturing
- Significantly reduce project delays since the engineering data can be accessed efficiently in one place
What the Made Smarter Technology Accelerator means to CAE Tech
“We are extremely proud to have been selected by Babcock International Group and Digital Catapult for the Made Smarter Technology Accelerator. It is the perfect platform for CAE Tech to bring our technology and ideas to a new audience.” Peter Harman, Founder & CTO, CAE Tech Ltd
- Joined Silverstone Technology Cluster, 2021
- Joined Digital Twin Consortium, 2020
- Accepted into HUBCAP Horizon 2020 Innovation Hub, 2020
- Invited Delegate at Confirm Smart Manufacturing “Joining the Dots”, Limerick 2020
- Innovation Pitch Presenter at MTC Digitalising Manufacturing, Coventry 2019
- Presenter at Smart Factory Expo Startup Pitch Clinic, Liverpool 2019
- Innovation Alley Exhibitor at Smart Factory Expo, Liverpool 2019
- Invited Delegate on KTN AI and Manufacturing Mission to Canada, Toronto 2019
- Participant at KTN AI and Robotics Pitchfest, London 2019
- Invited Delegate at Digital Catapult DETC Pit Stop, London 2018
- Finalist at Digital Catapult Digital Manufacturing Hack and Pitch, Manchester 2017 and 2018
Coming soon 23 June 2021 – Prototype presentation event
Taking place online on 23 June 2021, the programme will proudly present the first phase insights and learnings for industry. You’ll hear directly from the Industry Challenge Owners and Tech Sponsors, and find out more about the challenges they face and how to overcome them. Joined by the 14 programme startups you’ll discover the industry-changing prototypes as they pitch the conceptual solutions developed through the programme.